Workplace Safety Signs
Safety signs are essential in most places, whether public or restricted areas. It’s a precautionary measure to warn anyone of possible and imminent danger. Safety signs are displayed in everyday situations and in other areas which are high risk and restricted. Colour-code is being used in all signs for easy identification of the extent of how the risk is.
- RED COLOR means an immediate hazard that can cause death or severe injuries like fire and danger signs such as fire symbols.
- ORANGE COLOR represents a potentially dangerous situation that could cause minor to severe injuries — used to indicate in warning signs.
- YELLOW COLOR use to alert unsafe practices which if not avoided, may result in minor injuries and usually used in Caution signs.
- GREEN COLOR usually used in a less difficult situation. It is generally used in the entrance signage, medical safety kits and equipment.
- BLUE COLOR is used to convey information on safety.
Safety signs have standard sizes, shapes and have to follow the correct colour code. Restrictions of these signs placement are also indicated. Safety signs can be found in buildings, roads and highways, vehicles, appliances, and even in food products.
Different safety signs are located in the following areas, such as:
- TRAFFIC SIGNS – signs are placed along roadsides to inform drivers and pedestrians.
- PARKING SIGNS – signs are placed in the parking to inform the direction of parking.
- SPEED LIMIT SIGN – signs are placed along the roadside, inter-sections, pedestrian lanes, and populated areas such as school, church, and markets.
- FIRE EXTINGUISHER SIGN – signs are placed where the fire extinguisher is located for accessible dispatch during a fire.
Placing safety signs can prevent an accident that is fatal and hazardous. We need to follow all these signs to ensure our safety. Avoiding all the risk is prevention from injuries and even death. Ignorance of the meaning of the placed signage is sometimes a problem of the safety officers. Signs as a warning is also sometimes ignored because of curiosity. All safety officers should strictly implement the rules regarding safety warning devices.
As we said, sometimes, an ounce of prevention is a pound of cure. It’s all the same as how we follow the safety signs which give us the directions and controls the possible risk to us. This can help reduce the accident that causes death and injuries. All fatal accidents usually happened because of safety violations.
Violations of safety signs are punishable by the government. A violator can be prosecuted, jailed or fined depending on the extent of the violations. The government also requires to post safety signs in all the merchandize that can cause high risk in intoxication such as the chemicals, electrocutions in terms of appliances, or fatal injuries in terms of tools and other machinery.
Generally, safety signs are necessary for all areas of life. Even at home, school, vehicles, roads and appliances and also in the food we intake, among others. It’s a precautionary measure and needed to be followed and implemented.